Monday, July 28, 2008

Shared space

I'm realizing that I really enjoy public space. Maybe it's because I'm such an introvert and in shared space I can just watch everyone else and feel like I'm a part of something even when I'm not. Maybe it's because it feels more friendly. Maybe it's because it's just plain fascinating to watch other people. Maybe it's because it just feels real. In Latin America and in Hispanic parts of the US, public space gets used (Big-D residents, have you ever been to Bauchman Lake on a Sunday afternoon?) and I really enjoy it.

Here there is a divided street we cross on the way to school that has a wide tree lined walkway down the middle. It's beautiful and there is always something interesting going on, couples kissing, dogs being walked.





On Saturday morning I went running in Parque Chapoltepec. There is a little running track/route that was just fascinating. There were un monton de people running, walking, & exercising on the way old school exercises equipment in the middle. On the way there I passed a pickup futbol game or two, what looked like a boxing class/group, a lake with paddle boats, and lots of people selling stuff. I could do with less vending in the public space, but hey, that's part of the real feeling.

This is what was going on in the public space in front of the Anthropology Museum on Saturday: (Yes, I finally made it to the first museum on my list, and it was amazing! Thank you very much)

Los Voladores de Papantla



5 comments:

Brenny said...

That sounds very cool -- all those people around. And I'm totally interested to see what the old school exercise equipment consists of. I'm wondering if the images in my mind are right.

Anyway, I was a little confused as to what the people were doing attached to the pole. Human tetherball?

Hammy said...

Fun video! Not really sure what it was, but it was fun to see S and K.

Kathryn said...

The title of the video is a link to a wikipedia article. It's basically an ancient form of worship.

Jenn S. said...

We saw one of these in Puerto Vallarta - but the guys there were doing it for tourist tips! ;)

The park sounds great - a lot like a park in London with so much to see and do, you hardly even need an Ipod to keep you distracted when you've got so much else to see.

Christie said...

Kathryn, I'm glad your blogging. It's fun to catch up on your family, especially now that you are off doing/seeing such interesting things! I can't believe how grown-up your oldest looks... time really flies. And congrats on #2.