Monday, January 26, 2009

Open the Wallet

Incredible India. We did some shopping. Maybe we'll stay here a while...
I already introduced the prompt tailor. Last night we schlepped on over to the framers hut. We wanted to have our family photo (taken in Dallas just before we left) framed. We picked out the wide frame and double matting that we wanted and then asked the price. 1400 Rupees. "Yeah, okay, well, we'll leave these individual photos of the boys to get framed as well."
I ordered some baskets made for our closets, since we had no drawers. They were finally delivered last week (This was a study in the way things work here, 10 days became 35). Yeah, custom made baskets, priced well within the Blackburn tightwaded comfort zone.

Finally, we are currently auditioning carpets. We brought three home and now we have to decide which one we like best. Any votes?
This one is the smallest, about 9 x 6.
Next, about 8 x 11. The spot in the middle is a water drop on my camera lens, not actually on the carpet. Oh, and Phil and S are watching Return of the Jedi in this one. What started out as S's star wars initiation/family movie night degenerated. The rental place didn't have the original Star Wars in stock, so we had to go straight to Return of the Jedi. Then it wouldn't play on our DVD player, wrong region (who's genius idea was the whole region thing anyway). S was not going to be deterred. So earphones and computer screen it was.
Biggest, about 10x16. It fills up our whole room. Sorry the angle isn't the same on this one.

This post is sort of in direct contradiction to all those posts I've seen lately about not spending any extra cash.


12 comments:

TX Girl said...

The difference is that y'all really don't buy a whole lot, so when you actually purchase something it elicits a "FINALLY" from all of your friends.

I am pleased to report it has been an entire month.

I like all three of them. Although the red adds some umph to the room. Did you tell people that 1400 rupees is.. about $31.00?

I need to send you a reply about Cottage Emporium.

Hammy said...

I like all three, although the first one is my favorite. The second one reminds me of the one you had here (which I liked). You're going to bring these home with you right? You know me, I say if they were only $31, buy all three and you'll use them someday. (which is why I've gone on the spending freeze.)

Elizabeth said...

I say 1st or 3rd. The red one is cool but seems to overpower the room. My Mom has been a framing maniac. She is covering her bare walls with pictures she has framed for cheap.

Anonymous said...

Ok, the third one is definitely my favorite.

Um, in fact, the third one is definitely MY choice. You pick the first or second, and send me the third, ok?

No, REALLY! If you don't choose the third, I want it!!! Just tell me how much, and give me your address, and I'll send you the money. How much do you think it would cost to send it to me?

I want it. I need it! I must have it!!!

Could I Paypal you??? I'll pay you a finders fee!!!

Kathryn, at this point in time, you might be thinking that I'm kidding. Let me assure you that I, in fact, am not. I could not be more serious. I love that carpet almost as much as I love my children and my dog, and definitely more than I love our stupid bird.

This is me, batting my eyelashes, smiling moronically, and tilting my head ever so slightly with an angelic look on my face.

With ever so much love,

Ruth

We are a part of a happy family said...

My vote is 3, 2, then 1. As I scrolled down I thought, hmm, I like that. Well, I like that better. Yea, that one is my favorite. Seriously, I'm with 9 of nine...send me what you don't use...You are coming back to Dallas, right?

Marinda said...

I like the second one. Love the red. Obviously everyone that's posted has different tastes, so you just have to go with what you like! Ben brought a beautiful one home from Iraq, but it is very small. Out of curiosity, are they very expensive?

Jaclyn said...

I think the 1st one or the 3rd one would look nicer with the leather couches you have back home. I really like the red one, but I think the red would compete too much w/ the shade of leather your couches are. The black rug (3rd one) would look very nice with the framed pieces you bought in Africa. Just a thought, but I'm definitely not an interior decorator.

Brenny said...

Those baskets are beautiful. I'm still drooling over them.

The first rug is my favorite.

The Editor said...

#3!!

John and Jenny said...

I like the first one. Looks more Indian and has elements of the other two. I agree with you about the region codes...they make traveling with any type of American items a pain...Santa brought us Mario Kart from Australia for Christmas and had to return it (serious issues that morning). Needless to say, we are very grateful for laptops in our home...especially during quiet time.

Kathryn said...

We picked up the $31 frames today. They came out great. Super excited to get them up on our walls.

As for the carpet, we went with #3(sorry to those of you waiting for it to arrive on your doorstep). The plan is to bring it back to the US with us, but we'll see if shipping changes our mind. And as to price, not cheap, but a lot less than they'd be at home.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm very disappointed, but I'm not disappointed in you. You definitely made the right choice. Clearly you were guided by a higher being. LOLOL