Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sudan and Myanmar

I met a woman at the park today who is from Sudan. Her husband works for the embassy here. There is a family that lives close to us that is from Myanmar, also working for the embassy.

I don't know quite what to say when I find out these basic facts. How do they land government jobs that take them out of country? Does that mean that they are complicit? Or does it just mean they saw an opportunity out and they took it? How many times do you think I have to make small talk before I can ask how they feel about their government?

3 comments:

erin said...

now THAT is interesting. just slip it in... like, so how about this weather? read any good books lately? how do you feel about your fascist dictator?

Amy said...

Maybe those questions are appropriate after their kid vomits at your house during a play date.

a little music said...

Oh, just dive right in. Why not? Either they hate you and you never see them again. Or you engage in a lively conversation, and they admire you for your courage in the conversation and you've made a friend. You don't have to give them your opinion, do you? You can say something like "You know, I've been hearing a great deal about things that are going on in your native country. What do you think? or I often wonder if what I hear in the news is accurate - what is your feeling about it? Then you get the real scoop from someone who knows the inside info, and maybe you make a friend for life who lives in Sudan or Myanmar, or both.

Wouldn't that be loverly?

And why not give it a try? I mean, for Pete's sake, you moved to India with your husband and kids. You've obviously got guts to go along with that delightful rug of yours.