Monday, September 8, 2008

Español

Today a telemarketer complimented me on my Spanish. I don't think that's a good thing. I dream of Spanish that no one needs to comment on at all, because they can just understand it without effort.

I've noticed that I get compliments from people I am paying or who want me to pay them (the cab driver, my Spanish tutor, the telemarketer). I get "que?" "como?" and "mande?" from anyone else (my maid who's paid by my landlord, people I ask directions of in the street, kids on the playground).

2 comments:

noelle said...

oh, if i only knew as much as you!

chattypatra said...

Llego aquí a través de la página de Brent.

Me parece que la gente te da cumplidos porque aprecian el esfuerzo que haces por aprender a hablar el idioma correctamente. Son muchas las personas que estudian otra lengua, para luego acobardarse y cerrar la boca por miedo a la crítica o la burla.

Mi lema como maestra bilingüe siempre ha sido: "¡Equivócate con valentía!"

Ah...y por si no lo notas cuando visites mi página, soy oriunda de Puerto Rico. :)

Cuando quieras practicar tu castellano - no tu mejicano - aquí estoy. (Es broma. No hay tal cosa como español, según la R.A.E.)

Gusto en 'conocerte'.