Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Making a list

My netflix replacement service here has a pretty limited Hollywood selection and I haven't caught Bollywood fever, so I'm kind of on a TV series run. I'm currently watching the second season of 24. I didn't make it through the whole first season of Lost before Phil got online and read the plots of the next few seasons. I was convinced to just give it up before things got too crazy.

It's got me thinking about some old series that I was too young or too sheltered for, but were big enough to break into my pop culture consciousness. Like:

(Speaking of this age category I went to lunch with some friends yesterday where one of the major topics of conversation was health: our health, our husband's health. Depressing. I thought we'd have another 30 years before that kind of thing dominated)


So I'm making a list.

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I remember sneaking out to watch 30 Something with my older sisters. So funny that they seemed so old then. I will have to rent that one.
I just checked out Dawson's Creek from the library. Remember those days!
Did you ever see Veronica Mars? The first season is really good. I would stop there because it went off the air later and the 2nd wasn't as good.

Keri said...

Have you watched Aly McBeal or Gilmore Girls? Those were two I really enjoyed watching on Netflix a couple years ago. I think I watched Aly McBeal in Australia, actually. T.V. was not very good their either, but probably not as bad as what you're facing. By the way, N is soooo cute. Love the haircut pictures. Eliot never looks that happy when we cut her hair. She needs a t.v. to stay calm.

erin said...

hilarious. i distinctly remember my parents making me go to bed or leave the room before they turned on thirtysomething. maybe i'll throw it on the netflix queue to see what all the fuss was about. did you ever watch "my so-called life?" that is one i never really got down with at a young age but have put in my line-up.

Kathryn said...

Ah! My So Called Life. Uh, Jared Leto?! Dedicated a summer to that one with a friend who had them all taped (on VHS, back in the day). I hear she lurks around these parts; will nostalgia bring her out of hiding? I think the next summer was Dawson's Creek.

Have to check out the others. Watched a few episodes of Aly McBeal but never got into it at the time. Maybe now that I'm on the other side of office experience?

TX Girl said...

I'm hesitant to recommend shows to you, because we have such different book tastes. This is new, but have you watched Arrested Development? Veronica Mars totally rocks and so does Gilmore Girls.

I was raised by heathens, so I watched thirtysomething with my mom. Obviously everything went over my head, but it is still my favorite series. I actually dressed like Melissa for a really long time- one earring and all. Lifetime aired it for awhile, so I watched it again- I still have a few episodes that make me cry.