Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Books I've Never Heard Of


I started reading My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett to S this evening, it was recommended by the school librarian. Published in 1948. So far it's perfect for us: S can understand it with only about one stop for vocabulary/page and there are enough quirky things to keep me interested. Why haven't I ever heard of it before?
We're on the hunt for some good chapter books. We enjoyed Charlotte's Web and Ralph S. Mouse (me less than S on that one). Stuart Little's vocabulary was a little too old fashioned for us. I quit the Ramona book after the first chapter, we're not ready for Ramona yet. Have any favorites we should check out?

5 comments:

khd said...

We have loved my Father's Dragon, as well as the two sequels, Elmer and the Dragon and the Dragons of Blueland. The Wizard of Oz is also a huge favorite at our house, and some of the older editions have great illustrations. We just finished the Tales of Despereaux, which I found much too dark for 5 year olds (Lucy was often crying at the end of our reading, but refused to give up on the story).

We are a part of a happy family said...

Blanche loves the Magic Tree House books. They are threaded together and are about a brother and sister who explore periods of history and foreign places. She loves finding the "facts" (a new favorite pastime deciding what is fiction/fact.) We tried the Narnia books and it was a bit too much but loved the Secret Garden (maybe too girly but maybe not.) I'd like to do Nurse Matilda. Steer clear of Junie B Jones too.

Jaclyn said...

Harold and the Purple Crayon. However, it's more for ages 2-4. I bought it on a whim and it's one of my favorites now. I did read My Father's Dragon as a kid and I loved it.

Jenn S. said...

We're reading "Little House in the Big Woods" right now, but I can see it being interesting to mostly girls and not so much for boys - it's age appropriate though.

Marie' said...

Magic Tree House and A to Z Mysteries.