Monday, December 15, 2008

My House is no Vacation Destination

So, we moved into our apartment at the beginning of the month... well, we got the keys to our apartment at the beginning of the month. Since then it's been a dusty, dirty, argument filled two weeks. The kind of two weeks that had my mother-in-law writing "it's okay to just give up and come home" emails, and S telling his class about how his house is so dirty that he has special inside shoes to wear.


After the first week my maid got typhoid. Great. So, before you go getting all sorry for her, check out my washing machine (yes, I know this is the third washing machine to make a blogburn appearance):








That my dears, is a semi auto. I didn't know they existed, which I why I mistook the spinner basket for some sort of dryer when we looked at the apartment. No, not a dryer. After you turn on the faucet, fill the tub (on the bottom in the photo), let the machine do it's magic, return, & drain the washer, you move your clothes to the spinner basket and set the spin timer. This removes (I guess) the soap. Then you move the clothes back to the tub, rinse (by filling and draining), you move the clothes back to the spinner and spin again. Then you hang them out to dry.
So yeah, don't be waiting for the Christmas card this year, by the time all the clothes are clean, it might be Valentines.

Here's a few more pictures of our place:


Our newly refurbished kitchen, somehow I don't think everyone had the same vision...

The woodwork that tricked me into agreeing to this place...

11 comments:

Brenny said...

I have never seen a washing machine quite like that...

THe wood work is beautiful. Just keep up that mantra.

Hammy said...

What a beautiful door. And they look like pretty cozy seats. I think clothing is kind of overrated. I say, forget the washer--go naked.

noelle said...

oh my. i never know what to say to these posts. i'm always left speechless. you're a good woman, kathryn. that's all i can say.

Elizabeth said...

My parents said their apartment was covered in a very thick layer of dirt. And their made basically only does floors and not the corners.

JMR said...

So where do I send the Christmas card?
Krista (jkradandt@mac.com)

Amy said...

Wow. I think it's high time you teach S to do his own laundry. Maybe N too. And also Phil.

Molly said...

I don't know if you remember my post this summer about my piece of junk combo washer and dryer in London-- but all I can say is I sympathize with you. A laundromat ended up being my best friend for those few weeks.

Mrs. Smith said...

So funny. I don't want to scare you, but I have been here for two years and laundry is still one of my biggest problems. I have a slightly better washer...when it is working. *Sigh* I have become very familiar with the wash bucket.

The inside shoes? My house was spotless when I moved in, it gets swept and mopped everyday and my kids still have black feet. Inside shoes are just smart.

I love India, I love India, I love India...

Keri said...

You are really going to cherish your washing machine when you return to the U.S. It will define luxury for you :). It is good to see you're keeping a sense of humor in all this. Better to laugh then cry...but a good cry never hurt anyone. Good thing you have boys. No one will notice if their clothes are a little dirty. It's expected.

TX Girl said...

I have to agree with you, that is some fancy woodwork. I would have been tricked too.

I for one LOVE wearing shoes in the house. I've never really understood why people take their shoes off when they get home.

So the washing issue would drive me crazy, but hey.. how many times do we wash perfectly clean clothes just because we wore them? Just blame your dirty house on your dirty clothes.

TX Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.